S T A R T I N G A N D T E S T I N G
two copies of each record or two prints of each film are required.
After cleaning and lubricating the mechanism, checking the exciting lamp, and starting and testing the amplifier equipment, as previously described, start and test the mechanism and horns by proceeding as follows:
(1) Turn off all theatre horns and if installation his an output control panel (Fig. 4), providing an individual dial switch for each horn, set these controls at zero, that is, turned all the way to the right. Keep on monitor horn with control at usual setting.If the above tests are satisfactory, the equipment is ready for operation.
(2) On fader, set pointer at zero.
If installation includes both film and disc reproduction, see that filmdisc switch is set for type of pickup which is to be tested.
(3) On the two machines, set up two copies of one of test records, or thread two prints of one of the test films , exactly as described in next section, "Setting Up".
(4) On each motor control box, see that regulator switch is set at "REG" and that starting switch is on.
(5) Set up operator's and observer's telephone sets. The Manager, or some one else qualified to judge whether reproduction through theatre horns is satisfactory, -should now go into theatre and stay within easy reach of observer's telephone.
(6) Start first projector by raising foot switch on machine base (Fig. 1).
(7) Check reading of meter on control box. After machine is up to speed, reading should vary somewhere between 20 and 30 mils, on AC supply, or 40 and 60 mils, on DC supply.
(8) See that projector mechanism is running freely and that disc reproducer is tracking properly and has not jumped any grooves, and that film is passing through smoothly.
(9) Bring up fader pointer to one step below correct setting for record or sound film which is being played. Music or speech should now be heard from monitor horn.
(10) If the installation has an output control panel, turn all theatre horns on and then off again, one at a time. The observer, who ought to be near the stage, should listen to, each horn in turn and check its operation. He should also be sure that the sound from each horn is clear, free of noise, and of full volume.
(11) Put on all horns, with fader at correct setting, and see that reproduction is satisfactory.
(12) If installation includes an emergency amplifier equipment, switch over to this equipment by means of key on system switching panel, and see that reproduction is satisfactory, using all horns. Then switch back to regular arrangement.
(13) Stop first machine by pressing down foot switch on machine base. With disc pick-up, put new needle in reproducer and set it back at starting point of record. With film pick-up, rewind film and set it back at starting point.
Now start both machines and compare outputs for volume and quality by switching from one pick-up to other on fader.
(14) Put fader on zero, stop machines, and put away test records or films.
[COVER] [REGISTRY] [TITLE PAGE] [CONTENTS] [INTRODUCTION - PAGE 1] [STORAGE BATTERIES - PAGE 9] [STARTING AND TESTING - PAGE 14] [SETTING UP - PAGE 20] [REHEARSING - PAGE 27] [TROUBLES - PAGE 29] [REPLACEMENTS - PAGE 34]